Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Wednesday 24 August 2011

{book celebration in TO}


This past weekend I spent in Toronto to attend a party celebrating the publication of my sister's new book, Recounting Migration: Political Narratives of Congolese Young People in Uganda. An amazing contribution to scholarship, the book refutes assumptions and stereotypical representations "by presenting young Congolese refugees' nuanced understanding of the complex power relations that affect their everyday lives." In the words of Lieutenant-General the Honourable Roméo A. Dallaire "Clark-Kazak captures the humanity of Congolese young people through their stories, moving beyond the identities that have been cast upon them by the outside world. This book is a must read for anyone working on refugee and migration issues to better understand the complexities of the topic."
 My sister, always amazing at everything she does--Oxford PhD, Cambridge MA, loving sister, wonderful mother, etc.. etc.. seems to make things look easy when they're not. and anyone who knows her knows she's down-to-earth and the last person to blow their own horn. So I'm doing it for her! Congrats to a huge accomplishment. While I do archival research for my work, she has to spend months in refugee camps and put her life at risk. There's dedication for you!
Well, I was a bad sister and didn't take many photos at her party. (& no, that's not because I had too many Pimms!) So here are just a few photos from my trip to TO.
Congrats again!
{my little hand made card of congratulations --also a bad sister, I haven't got her a gift yet}


{Christina in her home--they've just done huge renovations on their gorgeous old toronto house}

{some of my family were present through their contribution of these beautiful flowers}

{Sam, her husband, made some fantastic tandoori chicken}

{a very gorgeous gift of flowers from guests at the party--yes, she's expecting #2!!!}

{at brunch the morning after the party-my darling niece & my sis}


1 comment:

  1. As usual, Crick has accomplished a great deal with a minimum of fuss. CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete