Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Monday 11 August 2014

{Portugal-Alentejo}

I spent a few days in the Alentejo region in Portugal--which was fantastic. I visited my friend Milton who is from a little town called Alvalade. I loved the blue skies, the traditional houses painted in blues & yellows, the tile work, the fantastic food, and the warmth of the people. We also took a trip to the beach, which was simply lovely. Swimming in the warm water and playing in the waves is my idea of a vacation!
It was sadly too short, though.

{beautiful details in Alvalade}

{Santiago de Cacém}




{old train station}
As we drove along the rugged landscape, numerous cork trees were having their bark stripped of the cork...and we also drove by many cork factories, with all the bark drying in the sun. Here is a rendition of it on some tiles on the train station:
..then off to the beach! 

{paradise!}


{Milton, my ever faithful guide!}





{such beautiful details everywhere, even in nature}



We had dinner in a little town, Porto Covo:


{simple church in the main square in Porto Covo}



We ate dinner at Marisqueira Marques, Porto Covo; the best clams I might have ever tasted!:


{beautiful interior, but we ate outside}

{yummy vinho verde!}

{a day spent swimming at Milton's cousins}

{their cellar}

{home grown}




{can anything be better than champagne in the afternoon? oh yes, champagne with homegrown strawberries & mint, by the pool!}
 On my way to the airport we drove along the coast...




{here I am at the furthest point--Cape St. Vincent, Sagres--it was windy!}



& then it was onto the plane and back to London :(!
until next time, Portugal!
beijos,
L

2 comments:

  1. I love your photo report Leah!!! Thank you so much for the many details of my homeland... since 1 August 2014 OUR Alentejo! :D

    Miss you already

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being such a great guide and showing your beautiful region!

    ReplyDelete