Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Tuesday 28 May 2013

{black tie college dinner in Cambridge}

This past Bank Holiday weekend we did a number of fantastic things, but it all started off with a fancy black tie college dinner in Cambridge.
My formal wear is all in boxes, so my Dad's cousin's wife let me borrow one of her gowns from the 80s, that actually looked beautifully vintage! My Dad's other cousin's son (third cousin? cousin thrice removed?) is at Darwin College pursuing a PhD and invited us to be his guests at the dinner. Darwin College was home to yes, the Darwins of Charles Darwin fame and has been transformed into a post-graduate college.
{the dress}

{pre-dinner champagne; notice the gorgeous William Morris wall paper!}


{Seating plan}


{the 6 course menu}






{& the meal begins...}


{the meal ends with madeira & coffee}

{my room with a view}

{the college's grounds}

{my cousin takes us punting on one of the college's punts}

{past the Bridge of Sighs}

{views of colleges from the river}


{a Pimm's punt!}

{a pub from the water}

{the pub from within}

{a refreshing shandy}
 We then walked to Grantchester, home to a gorgeous orchard, where famed men and women have long sipped tea (Rupert Brooke, Virginia Woolf etc...known as the Grantchester Group) . If you click on the link, you'll find a wealth of historical info as well as some great historical photos. We joined their legacy and sat down and enjoyed cream tea at just about 3 o'clock, mimicking the famous poem by Rupert Brooke:
"Yet, Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea? "

Indeed, a fantastic start to a fantastic weekend. More pictures & stories to come!
xo
L

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I am writing a feature for Refinery29 on the best Pinterest users in the UK and I'd like to include you! Can't find contact info for you anywhere so might you be able to contact me please? My email address natalie.hughes@gmail.com

    I can send you more info via email :)

    Nx

    ReplyDelete