Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Tuesday 11 August 2015

{quotable thursdays-moving day}

{change}
While growing up, we'd pack up our things every three years, and sail around the world for a year. It was a fantastic childhood but it meant that my life was never sedentary, but rather nomadic. When I graduated from high school & went on to an undergraduate degree, I would spend the academic term in Vancouver and then pack up my apartment and move back to Victoria to work for the summer and live with my parents. After undergrad, I moved to London for a year for my MA. Following that I was in Montreal for 1.5 years where I began my PhD, I then moved to Italy for 9 months, then Vancouver for 3 years to write up & finish my dissertation & start my first teaching job (where I lived in two apartments & two houses). I then moved to upstate New York for a year, then to Vermont for just under two years, and then ended up in this flat in London for just over two years. All in all I can count 13 flats in my life!

But now? I'm moving again. The difference is I've bought a property! I have a feeling that I won't be in the house for the rest of my life, but I have a feeling it'll probably be longer than three years. Wow! to live somewhere longer than three years. I can't imagine it!
{unfortunately I don't look so glamorous. But Simla does!}
So today is moving day... & off I go on a new adventure. I always get a bit emotional when I move. You reflect on the life that you've lived in that place.You become aware that your daily activities will now become memories of that place--the corner store you buy your milk, your walk home from the tube, bus, or what-have-you...your local grocery store. The strangers you often see regularly in the 'hood.
Farewell North London, I'm excited about building a new life in Leighton Buzzard!
xx
L

No comments:

Post a Comment