Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Sunday 17 November 2013

{Lisbon}

Portugal was fantastic! I was so sad to leave and so sad that I wasn't as mobile as I wanted (I did manage the trip, but had restricted mobility with my crutches unfortunately). But I made the best of it, and did manage to see some things, thanks to very helpful and kind conference colleagues.
The conference I was attending was hosted at the fantastic Palacio Fronteira. It was built in the 17th century for the Marquis of Fronteira, and the 12th Marquis still lives there today (he even graced us with his presence on the first day, welcoming us to his palatial home!).
{I would recommend listening to this Portuguese music by Ana Moura, while reading this blog post: a Portuguese friend recommended this music to me and I can't stop playing it!}

On the first day we were given a tour of the property by what I call the 21st-century version of the perfect courtier (oh, Castiglione would be so happy to hear the tradition still exists today!):
{the perfect courtier giving us a guided tour of the Palacio Fronteira}



{the private chapel}



{resident cat!}


{we ate lunch in this beautiful setting--with wine and food in abundance--I felt like I was back in the 17th century!}

{I gave my paper in this fabulous room!}

{exterior of the palace}

{the gardens...}
 After the conference, we enjoyed some of the city...
{delicious fish!}

{a concert at Saõ Roque}

{followed by drinks in a wine bar}

{Lisbon's night life}


{wine!!!}
 On the Saturday a local Portuguese friend showed me some sites that would be easy enough to do with my crutches-this is the fantastic church attached to the Monastery of Jerónimos. Work began in 1501, under the patronage of Manuel I:


{me & my crutches!}

{stunning knot-work as decorative vaulting recalls the Portuguese explorations by boat}


{sunny Portugese skies!}

 In the same area of Belem, is the famous Pastéis de Belém, where they sell & make the traditional pasteis de nata:



{the greeter at Pasteis de Belem!}
On this grey, London day, I long for the sunny skies of Portugal...I am so glad I didn't cancel the trip--it was well worth it in the end!
Beijos,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment