Tiddley-Bits tea

Tiddley-Bits tea

Saturday 25 September 2010

{bags, books & toads}

I was recently given this very cool bag at the library:
{or perhaps I should've said Toad-ally awesome book bag}
It reminds me of the Wind in the Willows.

{Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame }
It reminds me, in particular, of the 1980s move I recently watched with my niece and nephew, when Toad sings his song of going home. You can watch it on Youtube
{Toad in front of Toad Hall from the 1980s A&E series, available at Amazon}
Who can resist some of the imagery associated with the Wind in the Willows?

 <>

While I love old books, sometimes we aren't so fortunate to have the time or the means to search through bookshops.



<>
{Bookshop along the Seine (above) and College street, Kolkata (directly above)}

{Illiad bookshop}

Luckily the Wind in the Willows, among other books, is now available with funky covers by artist Daniela Jaglenka Terrazini through Puffin Classics for Penguin.

{Puffin Classics }
These are similar to Coralie Bickford-Smith's covers of some great classics including some lovely Jane Austen novels:
{from CB-Smith; image from Design*Sponge}
{from extrabux}
Still, while these are beautiful, I have to admit I do like the idea of old & seasoned books.


<>

{books seriously add a comforting feeling to any space. Now what I would give to own a library like this! Photos from Visualise us}
A good book collection is like a good teacup collection: it ought to be mixed, with varying signs of age, with varying signs of usage: rips, tears, chips, etc...and the contents ought to be just as varied as well. Ranging from a plush darjeeling to a smokey lapsang souchong in terms of tea, and in terms of books, ranging from stories of Miss Elizabeth Bennetts and Mr. Darcys to philosophical enquiries and art historical conundrums. It is no coincidence that tea & reading go together.


...& for some great bookcase ideas check out: Isuwannee





No comments:

Post a Comment